[OSM-dev] I'm Looking for josm reading NMEA Files
Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany)
2007-05-23 06:45:29 UTC
I do have some Windows users which are really busy like a bee collecting new
tracks. And since the new Windows installer for josm works nicely again. I'm
now trying to convince my Windows users to try to use josm themselves. But
for this I'd need a possibility for them to directly import there Tracks(from
the NaviGPS-BGT11) into josm.

So I'm looking for a possibility to read tracklogs in NMEA format directly
from josm. Did anyone already start something like this for josm?
I don't know if there already exists a java module for this, but if not the
Basic NMEA parsing itself should not be too difficult.
Just look for one of the interesting lines:
$GGA,hhmmss.ss,llll.ll,a,yyyyy.yy,a,x,xx,x.x,x.x,M,x.x,M,x.x,xxxx*hh<CR><LF>
$RMC,hhmmss.ss,A,llll.ll,a,yyyyy.yy,a,x.x,x.x,xxxx,x.x,a*hh<CR><LF>
where
hhmmss.ss = Universal Time Coordinated (UTC)
llll.ll = Latitude
yyyyy.yy = Longitude
a = N or S (North or South)
E or W (East or West)
hh = Checksum
and Latitude/Longitude is calculated by splitting LLll.ll and simply
multiplying and adding:
Latitude = LL + ( ll.ll * 60 )
Longitude = YY + ( yy.yy * 60 )
--
J?rg (Germany, Munich)

http://www.ostertag.name/
irc://irc.oftc.net/#osm
Tel.: +49 89 420950304
Skype: JoergOstertag
Shaun McDonald
2007-05-23 07:59:40 UTC
Hi Joerg,
Post by Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany)
I do have some Windows users which are really busy like a bee
collecting new
tracks. And since the new Windows installer for josm works nicely again. I'm
now trying to convince my Windows users to try to use josm
themselves. But
for this I'd need a possibility for them to directly import there Tracks(from
the NaviGPS-BGT11) into josm.
Are the users uploading the tracks?

If so they would need to be in gpx format.
Can a version of
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Talk:NMEA>
be made into a windows batch script?
Post by Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany)
So I'm looking for a possibility to read tracklogs in NMEA format directly
from josm. Did anyone already start something like this for josm?
I don't know if there already exists a java module for this, but if not the
Basic NMEA parsing itself should not be too difficult.
$GGA,hhmmss.ss,llll.ll,a,yyyyy.yy,a,x,xx,x.x,x.x,M,x.x,M,x.x,xxxx*hh<C
R><LF>
$RMC,hhmmss.ss,A,llll.ll,a,yyyyy.yy,a,x.x,x.x,xxxx,x.x,a*hh<CR><LF>
where
hhmmss.ss = Universal Time Coordinated (UTC)
llll.ll = Latitude
yyyyy.yy = Longitude
a = N or S (North or South)
E or W (East or West)
hh = Checksum
and Latitude/Longitude is calculated by splitting LLll.ll and simply
Latitude = LL + ( ll.ll * 60 )
Longitude = YY + ( yy.yy * 60 )
I believe that there is already a ticket for this in trac.

<http://josm.eigenheimstrasse.de/ticket/27> is something similar, but
not quite the same as it is looking for live NMEA import.

Please add your information in a new ticket, so that it doesn't get
lost.

Shaun
Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany)
2007-05-23 08:50:12 UTC
Post by Shaun McDonald
Hi Joerg,
Post by Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany)
I do have some Windows users which are really busy like a bee collecting new
tracks. And since the new Windows installer for josm works nicely again. I'm
now trying to convince my Windows users to try to use josm
themselves. But
for this I'd need a possibility for them to directly import there Tracks(from
the NaviGPS-BGT11) into josm.
Are the users uploading the tracks?
If so they would need to be in gpx format.
Can a version of
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Talk:NMEA>
be made into a windows batch script?
My idea was to not have to install gpsbabel on these machines too. But if this
would work it would be even better, since this would enable josm to import
almost any gps-tracklog.

The primary idea was to add some simple lines to josm to also be able to read
NMEA-tracks and store them internally in the gpx structure. After reading
these tracks the gpx-upload of josm could also upload them the same way as
regular gpx files.
Shaun McDonald
2007-05-23 09:01:55 UTC
Post by Shaun McDonald
[...]
You can upload gpx tracks within JOSM? I noticed that you can export
them, but never knew you could upload them.

Shaun
Frederik Ramm
2007-05-23 09:17:11 UTC
Post by Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany)
But
for this I'd need a possibility for them to directly import there Tracks(from
the NaviGPS-BGT11) into josm.
I think a generic NMEA import is quite difficult. It is probably easy
to import exactly the kind of NMEA log written by that device. But
that would then confuse users because they would expect to be able to
read other NMEA logs and you'd be bogged down with "but my NMEA log
looks like this, why doesn't it work" requests in no time.
Post by Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany)
So I'm looking for a possibility to read tracklogs in NMEA format directly
from josm. Did anyone already start something like this for josm?
Haven't, and won't ;-) besides, you would not (yet) be able to upload
tracks from within JOSM.

But I have an easy suggestion: You're no stranger to Perl and CGI, so
why don't you just put a small CGI script on your server where people
can upload the NaviGPS tracks and get a GPX file in return? That
should be only a few lines (calling gpsbabel internally), and your
Windows users could convert their files using your service without
having to install gpsbabel themselves.

If you're adventurous, you could also offer them a choice to
automatically upload converted GPX files to OSM from your box.

Bye
Frederik
Frederik Ramm ## eMail frederik at remote.org ## N49?00.09' E008?23.33'
Christof Dallermassl
2007-05-23 12:04:12 UTC
Hi!

www.gpsvisualizer.com can do the conversion from nmea to gpx.

if you need any java classes for nmea parsing: my project
gpstool/gpsylon has some: http://gpsmap.sourceforge.net
Hi,
christof at dallermassl.at
Jeroen Dekkers
2007-05-23 10:42:57 UTC
At Wed, 23 May 2007 08:45:29 +0200,
Post by Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany)
I do have some Windows users which are really busy like a bee collecting new
tracks. And since the new Windows installer for josm works nicely again. I'm
now trying to convince my Windows users to try to use josm themselves. But
for this I'd need a possibility for them to directly import there Tracks(from
the NaviGPS-BGT11) into josm.
We're using the Amaryllo GPS, which is the same hardware but just a
different brand, and their latest NaviLINK software automatically
converts the NMEA to GPX using gpsbabel. You can download the software
from amaryllo.com, it should probably work with NaviGPS too.

Jeroen Dekkers